And there’s going to be a puppy in the White House!!!
I hope you’re not looking to me to say something eloquent, because I’ve got nothing. I agree with Eugene Robinson, “It’s different than before.”
I know it’s corny, but watching all these different faces on my television, all smiling and dancing and being excited about voting and crying and waving their flags, I just feel like this is who I have always known we are.
But I just can’t be yet. I have got to see it happen before i feel like it’s real.
I just hate when they call states with 0% of the results in. I wanto some surity and 0% does not give it to me.
Why is Chuck Todd at a podium? Is he practicing for when he becomes a minister? Because, if so, I think he needs different hair.
Via Dean Dad, a meme of distraction.
1.Political show – Olbermann. Yes, he can be a sexist pig, but I’m going to admit something very stupid to you–I feel affinity for people who share the last names of my folks. Phillips? Robinson? Pull up a chair and call me family. I think of Eugene as some distant cousin who deserves my loyalty.
2. Picnic food – I can’t think of the last time I went on a picnic, but I’m going to say macaroni and cheese, because even lukewarm macaroni and cheese is nice.
3. Mixed drink – Vodka and cranberry. Mack calls them something else–Old Bay… Cape Cod… I forget. Anyway that or vodka and Bailey’s, though I’m not sure that counts as an actual mixed drink. If so, I want it named after me–let’s call it “Aunt B.’s Regret.”
4. U.S. President – Does Eleanor Roosevelt count? Otherwise, I’ll go with Lincoln
5. Kind of student to teach — No one leaves me in charge of kids! Are you kidding?! But I like students who are open to those “aha!” moments.
6. Hobby you do or wish you still did – Now that it’s getting cold, I can’t wait to get back to crochetting. I want to make myself a koolaid afghan.
7. Sports commentator – Harry Carey or Steve Stone.
8. Sport to watch on TV – Football, though I don’t follow it. I just like the camaraderie.
9. Animal to have as a pet – Dog.
10. Halloween costume you have worn – My favorite costume ever was this ghost costume my mom made with mesh eyeholes. I was a ghost about 3 years in a row.
11. Kind of dessert – Anything chocolate.
12. Comic strip – I don’t have a favorite comic strip, but I do love the Comics Curmudgeon.
13. Style or make of footwear – Chuck T’s
14. Ice cream flavor – Ben & Jerry’s Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough (though in their stores, I love their Yellow Cake)
15. College or university president – People have favorite college presidents? Hmm. Was Thomas Jefferson ever a college president?
16. Internet news source – Josh Marshall.
17. Vacation spot – The hammock in my back yard.
18. Wine – Night Train! No, just kidding. Umm. I don’t think I’m sophisticated enough to have a favorite wine. I buy whatever has a nice label.
19. Way to waste time instead of working – Blogging.
20. Student excuse for late work — “I’m the quarterback.” You’re the 4th string quarterback at a school that’s only ever had a handful of folks go pro, so you might want to not put all your eggs in the NFL basket.
21. Reality show – Ghost Hunters
22. Jewelry on a man – I’m a sucker for a man who can wear earrings. Not every guy can without looking silly but there’s something about a small gold hoop or diamonds on a man I just find nice.
23. Pizza topping – Pepperoni.
24. Children’s movie – The Triplets of Belleville
25. Celebrity you wish would retire — Stephen Baldwin
Clearly, this is a meme best completed by folks who teach at the university level, so if you are one of those folks, consider yourself tagged.
I’m staying at the Embassy Suites which used to be the old Citadel. I was unhappy, to put it mildly, to discover glass elevators and a five story atium with me on the top floor, but I’m tucked away in a corner, so I don’t have to trust the fancy iron scrolling to keep my from plummeting to my death, and I’m just sucking up the terrible wait for the elevator to arrive, when I feel like I’m hovering out in the air with nothing to hold me up, because my room has a gun turret! I can walk up a couple of steps and out onto a little landing inside a massive turret.
I’m so tickled by that, I can’t even tell you.
The trip over was fine. I had to pay $15 to check a bag and they don’t give you little envelopes to hold your bording passes anymore and you even have to pay for pop, which is a total rip off, and I’m reading that White City book to pass the time in the airports. The Charlotte airport was ridiculous. I practically walked back to Nashville to get on the plane over to Charleston. But the Charleston airport is so cute that I may have to put it in my pocket and take it home with me.
It’s raining here and getting dark and all the materials that they sent us for the conference say “Do not go out after dark by yourself!!!!!!” and so I won’t.
But I feel kind of silly about it, since it’s only 5 o’clock.
Today, America, when you go to vote, I ask you to think of your grandkids.
Think of the arc of history bending towards justice and ask yourself, when they asked you how you voted in this election, if you want your answer to be “Hrumph, well, times were different back then” or if you want to say “Yeah, I was there.”
I’m especially looking at you, California.