Polls open at 7 a.m.
Let’s just briefly run down why English-only is a bad idea.
1. It’s bigoted.
2. Racists are heavily funding it.
3. It’s inhospitable.
4. It sends the wrong message to potential employers.
5. Trying to enact English-only in a special election is a huge waste of money.
6. If we do enact it, we could lose massive federal dollars as a city.
7. And there will be lawsuits. Which we will lose, repeatedly.
If for no other reason, think of the people in Nashville who are out of work. You know some, I know you do. We all know smart, capable people who just need a good job to support their families. Until the economy turns around, the only way for a city to add jobs is to add places looking to employ people. We have to attract business and industry.
And we have heard repeatedly from business and industry leaders that English-only will dissuade them from coming here.
Yes, I am a crazed liberal Democrat who believes that you should be able to hear 80 languages anywhere you go, so I know I don’t have a lot of credibility here. But listen. The economic shit has hit the fan. All over the city places are cutting or have cut back. If we want to add jobs, we have to look as attractive as possible.
Defeating English-only is as easy a way as there is of making Nashville look like a good place to move your business.
Please, vote in your own economic self-interest.
Please, vote no.