I spent almost all evening writing this over at Pith. And I am worn out and depressed.
Edited to add: And I fucked up, calling the Planning Commission the Zoning Commission and I can’t get into the back end to fix it. Good lord, how embarrassing.
Edited again to add: Oh, wait, it seems to have let me fix it. Apparently I can’t even fuck up effectively.
Edited again, again to add: Ha, well, it let me think it’d fixed it, but it clearly hasn’t.
Last edit, sweet Jesus: Okay, now it’s right.
1. Liz’s column today is brilliant and pretty much says anything about our governor that I would have wanted to say, but better.
1a. But I love how, in the comments, it’s all “Liz hates men!” Yes a strong woman with an opinion; she must be a man-hater.
2. I continue to have a love/hate thing for Mike Turner. One the one hand, he’s the lumpiest boob in the bra when it comes to talking about desegregation.
2b. On the other hand (or should we say, in the other cup), he said, “On the accomplishments of the 2009 session: ‘It’s an exercise in bipartisan democracy I guess. Some people talk about bipartisanship. Maybe this is a good reason not to have it.'” Ha ha ha ha ha. Brilliant.
3. People are rotting in prison in Florida because of a dog with superpowers. What do you even say in the face of that? How did juries buy this nonsense?
4. I thought this was a pretty brilliant point.
4a. Keri’s pregnant?! You miss some stuff when you mostly watch repeats, I guess.
5. Tennessee blogger (and all around smoochable person), Newscoma broke the story today about a Republican staffer, allegedly in Diane Black’s office, who sent out a charming photo of all the U.S. Presidents (if by “charming” one means stunningly racist). Caleb’s got the list of who all received it. I recognized most of the names as being Republican staffers. I don’t know which one of them was grossed out enough by this to try to get word to the folks he or she thought could bring it to light, but that person deserves a pat on the back. As for the rest of them, you can just add this incident to the long list of blatently racist crap pulled by Republicans in this state while other Republicans stood around and pretended not to notice.
5a. The wrong list? What is the right list to which to send your racist emails?
1. A new study discovers what Paul Campos already said–people eat more diet food.
2. Shorter Kay Brooks–“If you’re not going to make laws we like, unfortunately, and I’m totally not endorsing this, but we may have to murder some people.” God, someone tell me why I’m still reading someone who can spout this kind of evil shit without it even troubling her conscience?
3. I have to get in the shower, but the second Mike Turner’s portion of Liberadio goes up on-line, someone needs to tell me so that I can hear it. I am also going to need fair warning if it will cause me to choke on any portion of my own tongue.