The sign reads:
On this bluff in 1780, pioneers who came with James Robertson built Heaton’s (also called Eaton’s) station. It and two other forts (Freeland’s and Nashborough) withstood all Indian attacks and saved the Cumberland settlements. On the river below were successively a buffalo ford, ferry, and Lock No. 1. The home of Amos Heaton stood 100 feet north.