1. The Butcher called to ask about the advisability of getting a Whitey’s Ice Cream t-shirt–if I thought folks would find it funny or aggressively obnoxious. I thought that, if the “ice cream” part is very clear, it’d be funny. And now, damn it, I am totally craving some Whitey’s Ice Cream. They do mail, but that does me no good right now.
2. Kleinheider! In the Memphis Flyer, which tickles me for all kinds of reasons. I think this is one of his best-written pieces.
3. I am in love with the idea of all public Tweets being in the Library of Congress. I totally want my nephew’s great grand children to be able to read, in my own words, about me. How awesome.
4. I thought the website they link to over at Creme was really interesting. It’s kind of shocking and makes me wonder at what point record labels are just giant PR machines and whether a person can’t do better making some other kinds of marketing arrangements. I don’t know. But I’m thinking about it.
5. Okay, this is kind of a weird thing, but you know, they edit me over at Pith now. And, yeah, I have not always been very nice about it. But something has happened. I don’t think it’s that I’ve become less of an asshole, but maybe? Ha, no, of course not. But here’s the thing. Whoever edits me is very funny (I think it’s either Jim Ridley or Jack Silverman) and so, I’ll write something, like this post on New York Bestiality Emails, and I’ll reread it before submitting it, and it’ll make me laugh. And then I send them an email and I say either “This must go up right away!!!” or “You know, for when you need to fill a spot,” and this post was one of those “Whenever” because, please, bestiality porn is forever. That’s why you don’t do it (aside from ethical concerns about consent, of course).
So, I wrote this a couple of days ago. It went up today. And there are a couple of things in the post that are hilarious that I didn’t write. Now, you, as an end user, don’t give a shit, I’m sure. But for me? Since I know I didn’t write them? And they made me laugh?
It’s like getting a private snarky note from a friend in a very public space. I don’t know how to explain it. I read the little tweaks and turns of phrase I know aren’t mine and it feels like a little private giggle between me and whoever edited it.
I kind of love it. No, no “kind of” about it. I really love it. It feels like a very strange sort of friendly intimacy. Like, here, in my words, where no one will notice, are some words just for me.
I don’t know. Like I said, it’s strange. But, since it’s strange, I thought I’d mention it.