I have informally given myself a goal of writing one short story a month. It’s not going that great. Ha. It’s also not going that bad. I mean, I should have two stories and the start of another and that is, indeed, what I have.

But the one that is just started was my February story.

I don’t know what will come of these, if anything. They’re very personal in a way that makes me uncomfortable but also, I think, compelling. So, I don’t know. I have stories I’m already shopping around and I never know if it makes sense to put new ones in the pipeline or wait and see if the old ones are going to clear out.

I’m also annoyed and confused about what to do about a piece that I sent to a market I was not familiar with–I mean, I’ve read it, but I don’t know anything about the folks on the back end–and I haven’t heard back from them, yeah or naw, way, way over the amount of time Duotrope says people usually hear from them.

So, I sent them an email just to ask if they were still considering it or if I’d missed the rejection. That was three weeks ago. I’ve heard nothing.

I’m not sure what to do next. Let it play out a little longer? Withdraw the piece? I just want to know if I should be doing something else with the story or if I should just keep waiting.

6 thoughts on “Writing

  1. I bet you are not the only author having trouble with that particular market. I had an issue once with a submission, same sort of long silence, no answer. I withdrew the story and lo! the market went away shortly thereafter. Have you checked Ralan.com? They’re usually pretty spot-on with the markets, and if they don’t know, they would probably like to hear about issues.

  2. Oh crap. They’re not even listed on Ralan.com. And I just relooked at them on Duotrope and 20% of the pieces Duotrope subscribers submit to them are withdrawn! That is nuts. I checked other markets and they’re more like 1%.

    I feel like a dumbass for not looking at that sooner.

  3. Well, they rejected me, which is fine, and I’m glad to know. And they said encouraging things, which is also nice. But then they urged me to report to Duotrope. I mean, yes, I did, but it’s a pretty big ask to want me to do something promptly that helps you in these circumstances.

  4. God, no kidding. If I’m going to have to wait a million months for a rejection, might as well go with one of the big guys.

Comments are closed.